Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blog Assignment # 1

me on a dolphin cruise in Destin, FL



          Hi! My name is Brooke Thompson; I am 20 years old and currently a sophomore at the University of South Alabama with a major in secondary education history major. I have lived in Daphne, Alabama my entire life and I love it here, especially since it is so close to the beaches! I graduated from Spanish Fort High School in 2009 and have been attending Faulkner State Community College for the past two years. I would say that I have a somewhat large family with four siblings, two brothers and two sisters, though my parents are divorced and remarried so three are from different marriages (which of course, doesn't change the fact that I love them all the same!). My family is very important to me and I try to spend as much time with them as possible.
          In 2008 I had the most amazing opportunity to be able to go to China and live there for two months. We lived in Yangzhou and got to visit Shanghai and Nanjing many times, it was pretty much the most amazing thing I have ever experienced! Those two months sparked my love for travel and history and ever since then I've known that I wanted to be a history teacher. When I graduate from USA I would love to travel as much as possible, maybe even go back to China or some other country in Asia and teach English.
          When I'm not busy with school or work I try to spend as much time with my family and friends as possible. I just recently discovered kayaking and I am pretty much obsessed! I plan on buying one soon so that I can go as many times as possible and living around so much water makes it so much easier!
I have always loved working with computers, so I am really looking forward to this class!

Dr. Pauch making his speech on time management

Dr. Randy Pausch on Time Management 
Time management is one of my major problems! I have always been a procrastinator for as long as I can remember. I try to make plans or to do lists, but they never seem work for me. He made some really great points on how to make more efficient plans and to do lists and after watching this video it has inspired me to start using my student planner in a more organized manner. One of the main things that stuck out to me that he said was to always start your list with the worst thing. I would have never thought to do that, because usually when I make a list I always put things in the order that I actually want to do them. It makes absolute sense though, because if you the worst part of your day over with first then you have nothing to dread doing for the rest of the day. I have already started making my to do list for this fall semester and it makes all of the work seem so much better and easier to understand.


1 comment:

  1. I am jealous! I would live to go to China. And for several months!

    Did you find out anything about Dr. Pausch?

    ReplyDelete